Quigs are the guardians of the flumes, attacking anyone who attempts to enter them, including Travelers. They are under the control of Saint Dane and are usually only active in territories where he's active. They take different forms, always of creatures local to the territory.
Quigs take different appearances depending on the territory they are on. No one knows what quigs really look like, or if they even have a "true" appearance. The only resemblance between the quigs on different territories are their eyes. They all have yellow eyes. On Denduron, they appear as large, spiked beasts, akin to bears. On Cloral, they appear as massive sharks. On Second Earth, and the other Earths, they appear as large, feral dogs. Quigs are snakes on Zadaa, and gars (humans) on Eelong. It is assumed that quigs are spiders on Quillan, although because they are robotic, it is possible they are something else. Quigs take the shape of large, venomous bees on Ibara. No one knows what quigs look like on Veelox though given it's relationship to Ibara it's likely they're also bees.
- Feral dogs. They appear in packs on Second Earth they appear when there are ten or twelve yellow stones. In The Pilgrams of Rayne Bobby got attacked by a quig when he entered Third Earth.
- Snakes. Quigs on Zadaa are large and poisonous snakes that are inside of the Roakdor tunnels.
- Bears with a large spikes on their backs. Unlike all the other quigs that appear at the flume the quigs on Denduron appear on the equinox where they killed a Milago miner.
- Sharks. The quigs on Cloral are monster sharks. Bobby saw the quig earlier at the mine of Denduron. Bobby describe the quigs as having a battleship gray body and a jet black underbelly . The quigs' bait are pickle looking fruit plants.
- The quigs on Veelox are unknown, but seeing that the quigs on Ibara are killer bees, it is possible that the quigs on Veelox are killer bees as well. Veelox is quig-free because, as Saint Dane had said, he was already done with the territory by the time Bobby arrived. In Before the War: Book Two, Aja has to fight a monkey-beast with yellow eyes in Nak's game; that might be Veelox's quig.
- Mechanical Spiders. Quigs on Quillan are mechanical spiders that are made by a Forge invention back on Second Earth.